Kitchen fire damages house; no one injured

Published 4:44 pm Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Crews responded to a structure fire at a home in the 1400 block of 4th Street Monday, said Rodney Newton, the interim town manager and chief of the Victoria Fire and Rescue Department.

The residence was occupied, but everyone got out safely, Newton said.

The fire occurred at approximately 8 p.m.

“The fire started in the kitchen area near the stove and spread to the adjacent cabinets,” Newton said.

“The efforts of a neighbor with a fire extinguisher prevented the spread of the fire to other parts of the residence.”

There was considerable heat and smoke damage to the remainder of the residence, and the residents are staying with family members until repairs can be made, Newton said.

Victoria Fire and Rescue was assisted by Kenbridge Fire Department, Victoria Police Department, and Lunenburg Sheriff’s Office during the incident, he said.