Christmas ornament contest opens
Published 11:24 am Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Lunenburg County Historical Society is sponsoring a Christmas ornament contest that offers the community a chance to have their creation hanging on the holiday tree at the state’s Executive Mansion on Virginia’s Capitol Square.
The Executive Mansion has announced that the theme for its 2016 Holiday Tree will be “Home for the Holidays.” Each locality is asked to submit one hand-crafted ornament that uniquely represents its community.
Because the mansion may choose a children’s theme for its tree in the future, this year’s ornaments are to be created by adults (college-aged and above).
The judging to determine the Lunenburg winner will be done by professional artists in the area. Contestants should keep in mind that the judging will be based upon these points:
• The ornament must be submitted by an adult who should reside in or nearby Lunenburg County.
• The ornament should be specific to Lunenburg County and should depict something easily identified with the county.
• Preferred size of the ornament should be no larger than 6 inches.
• Shape and material is the artist/artisan’s choice, e.g., clay, glass, shells, fabric, wood, found objects, objects from nature, agricultural items, etc.
• The artist’s name and Lunenburg County should appear discreetly on the back or bottom of the ornament. The artist may decide whether to put the words “Lunenburg County” on the front of the ornament, although this is recommended.
• Purchased ornaments will be disqualified. The exception would be a undecorated purchased holiday ball with a hand-painted scene unique to Lunenburg County.
• Because the deadline for submitting the ornament to Richmond is Nov. 1, the local deadline for submission is Wednesday, Oct. 19, at 4:30 p.m. Ornaments should be submitted to the Lunenburg County Administration Office on the Courthouse Square at 11413 Courthouse Road, Lunenburg, VA. Phone: (434) 696-2142.
Questions may be addressed to the Executive Mansion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Executive Mansion will officially open for the holiday season on the evening of the Capitol Tree Lighting. The tree will be available for viewing at that time as well as during normal tour hours. For more information about tours, visit https://executivemansion.virginia.gov/tours/.