Installation pending for new streetlights

Published 5:51 pm Tuesday, September 27, 2016

New lighting will soon be installed along Main, Eighth and Sixth streets as part of the conclusion of phase two of the town of Victoria’s Streetscape project.

“It’s just installation of light poles in the areas where the new sidewalks have been installed,” said Town Manager Rodney Newton.

The town’s multi-phased Streetscape project, which began in 2008, has included new and replacement gutters, pavers, landscaping, crosswalks, more ornamental lighting and site furnishings, such as benches, bicycle racks and trash receptacles.

A recently installed kiosk and plaza are also part of the ongoing second phase.

The new lampposts will be installed in the same areas of Main, Eighth and Sixth, where new sidewalks were poured, he said.

Newton agreed that installation of the new lighting could begin before Nov. 1. “I can’t give you a definite date because that’s between the contractor and his supplier.”

The new poles will be similar to the ones that have been installed as part of the project previously, he said.

“This will provide more lighting, but it’s also going to fit in with the theme … that was established in the first phase of streetscape with the lamp posts down Main Street,” Newton said.

Dorin Landscaping — of Kenbridge — which is the same firm that has performed other aspects of the project, will install the new lighting.

“They were awarded the entire phase two streetscape job,” Newton said.

The second phase totals about $550,000, according to the town manager, who added that part of the project’s funding came as a local match from the town.

Completed in 2013, the first phase featured construction of the pedestrian plaza on Main and Eighth streets, improved sidewalks, installation of decorative street lights, crosswalks and trash cans.

The entire streetscape project will cost a total of approximately $1.3 million, with 80 percent of the financing coming from federal funds and the town responsible for the other 20 percent.

“The design of it is kind of geared toward the railroad history and then what there’ll be (are) four interpretive panels that will be on this kiosk that will have pictures of the history of Victoria,” Newton previously said of the kiosk.