Streetscape project nears end

Published 10:51 am Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Town of Victoria’s Streetscape project — one that began in 2008 — is nearing completion. Town Manager Rodney Newton said kiosks were about complete but much of the remainder of the project was contingent on the delivery of lampposts.

“Pretty much, as far as Streetscape, we’re still waiting on three lampposts to be delivered to finalize the project,” Newton said. “We have finished the landscaping around the kiosks; we’ll be doing some other improvements throughout the park in the next couple of months.”

Newton said he didn’t know when the lampposts are set to arrive.

The town’s new kiosk and plaza, located where Sixth Street meets Railroad Park, have several panels that showcase the history of the town.

The multi-phased Streetscape project has included new and replacement gutters, pavers, landscaping, crosswalks, more ornamental lighting and site furnishings, such as benches, bicycle racks and trash receptacles.

The second phase of the project totals about $550,000, according to

Newton, who added that part of the project’s funding came as a local match from the town.

Completed in 2013, the first phase featured construction of the pedestrian plaza on Main and Eighth streets, improved sidewalks, installation of decorative street lights, crosswalks and trash cans.

The entire streetscape project will cost a total of approximately $1.3 million, with 80 percent of the financing coming from federal funds. The town is responsible for the other 20 percent.