Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning

Published 9:36 am Wednesday, November 29, 2017

CHESTER — Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas that can be a byproduct of the combustion of ordinary fuels. According to a press release, carbon monoxide can become very poisonous if it is not vented properly and if allowed to accumulate without sufficient oxygen.

“The surest way to know if there is carbon monoxide in your home is with a carbon monoxide detector,” officials said in the release. “… If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning or a natural gas leak, leave the home immediately, and from a safe location call 911 and then call Columbia Gas of Virginia at (800) 544-5606.”

The release cited that Columbia Gas of Virginia delivers safe, reliable and clean natural gas to more than 262,000 customers in portions of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, suburban Richmond, Central Virginia, Shenandoah Valley, Lynchburg region and Western Virginia.

“With headquarters in Chesterfield County, the company is one of the seven energy distribution companies of NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) serving 3.8 million natural gas and electric customers,” officials said in the release.