More Railroad Park case details released

Published 8:00 am Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

 By Nate Pentecost

The K-V Dispatch 

Police reports and court documents provide more information into what happened on March 23, when one man was arrested in the wake of a shots fired call near Railroad Park. 

On Sunday, March 23, both Victoria and Kenbridge police were called out to the park. The situation led to the arrest of 25-year-old Matthew Carter of Victoria. 

According to the police incident report, at 6:45 p.m. Officer Justin Beagle arrived on the scene for the Victoria Police Department as Acting Chief, with Chief Cam Lawson on leave. He and VPD officers were met on site by Kenbridge Police Chief Chris Wallace and members of the KPD. These departments were joined by the Lunenburg County Sheriff’s Department. Initially, a man running from the area of Railroad Park where shots were heard was detained at the scene. He was released after it was determined he did not witness an incident but was fleeing the noise. The report indicates the officers further canvassed the area, spoke with potential witnesses, and cleared the scene before Beagle received an anonymous call with a tip. 

The source indicated Carter was the subject officers were in search of and that he left the scene in his vehicle, returning to his residence on Lunenburg County Road. Beagle said he and responding officers followed the lead to the trailer, where they found Carter outside in a vehicle matching the caller’s description at approximately 7:45 p.m. 


Carter told officers he’d been informed another man at the park “allegedly hugged his wife inappropriately,” the incident report states. Carter also alleged that when he approached the other man, he believed he saw the outline of a gun under the person’s shirt. He said the man then reached under his shirt, at which point Carter pulled out his own gun and shot several times in the air. He then returned to his vehicle with his family and left the scene. 

The police records indicate Carter was then taken into custody. He continued speaking with the officers during the arrest, informing Beagle the gun fired in the incident at Railroad Park on March 23 could be found in the bathroom of his trailer. At this time, officers collected a handgun from the residence’s bathroom for evidence. 

“On behalf of the police department, we’re really appreciative of the assistance we received from the public,” Beagle told The K-V Dispatch. “That’s why we ultimately were able to investigate and resolve the situation.” Carter was taken to the Lunenburg County Sheriff’s Office, where he appeared before the magistrate. He currently faces one count of “discharging a firearm in a public place”, a Class 1 Misdemeanor in the Commonwealth. He has since been released and is being represented in court by public defense. Carter’s next court hearing for the case is scheduled for May 15.