‘Real Virginia’ set to return to Lunenburg County

Published 4:23 pm Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Coming this fall, Lunenburg County will get a spotlight, thanks to the Virginia Farm Bureau. The Farm Bureau’s program Real Virginia will arrive in Lunenburg, as part of its County Close-Up program.

Each month, the feature focuses on a different Virginia county and provides an in-depth look at the area from an agricultural perspective. Elijah Griles, video content creator for Farm Bureau, will interview Lunenburg County farmers and others to explore the role agriculture plays in the county, which sectors are most prevalent and how the industry is changing.

The most recent Census of Agriculture, conducted in 2022, found Lunenburg had a total of 299 farms on 69,485 acres, and the market value of all agricultural products sold that year was more than $14 million. Crops account for 77% of all farm income, with the major plantings in hay and forage, soybeans, corn, tobacco and wheat. Commodities like livestock, poultry and other animal products make up the remaining 23%.

What is Real Virginia?

Real Virginia focuses on Virginia agriculture with a consumer audience in mind. The program airs nationwide at 3:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month on RFD-TV on Dish Network and DirecTV, and on selected cable outlets around the state. It airs weekly on WBRA digital channel 15.2, the WHRO World Channel, WVVA Bluefield and WTKR Norfolk, and on the first and third weekends of each month on WVIR Charlottesville, WHSV Harrisonburg, WRLH Richmond and WSLS Roanoke.

Watch Real Virginia anytime online by clicking here.

With almost 135,000 members in 88 county Farm Bureaus, VFBF is Virginia’s largest farmers’ advocacy group. Farm Bureau is a non-governmental, nonpartisan, voluntary organization committed to supporting Virginia’s agriculture industry.