Fire destroys home

Published 10:53 am Monday, October 22, 2018

Lunenburg and surrounding counties are banding together to help members of a Kenbridge family who lost their home in a fire late Sunday evening.

The fire, Kenbridge Fire Department Chief Dickie Harris said, took place in the area of 7517 Plank Road in Kenbridge.

Jacob Rifkind, who lives at the house, is a member of Kenbridge Fire Department. Nina Davis, who lives at the home, has taught horse riding lessons.

“It started from a flue on the chimney,” Harris said. “It started at the thimble.”

A thimble is a round opening at a chimney that accommodates a stovepipe from a wooden stove.

Harris said the fire resulted in a total loss of the home.

“When we arrived at the scene the fire had already been through the roof,” Harris said. He said 35 members of Kenbridge Fire Department and 10 members of Victoria Fire & Rescue responded to the fire. Harris said the department received the call at 10:38 p.m. Sunday.

He said the departments used an approximate 14,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

Cortney Hall, of Kenbridge, set up an account at Benchmark Bank that people can deposit funds. Hall said for those interested, they can request to deposit funds under the “Cortney Hall, special circumstances” account.

Friends and family members are coming together to raise funds for the family. A GoFundMe page from Brandon Davis raising funds for the family is currently trending, according to the website. Learn more about donating to the family here.